Saturday, April 17, 2010

Holy Anachronism, Batman

I stumbled upon this a while ago, and meant to post it, and forgot. Because I have the memory of a goldfish. Anyway.

In this gadget filled era, what is one to do when one stumbles upon a word in Middle English in the works of Chaucer and one is without access to a decent Middle English dictionary? Fear not, because there is now a Chaucer Dictionary app for your iPod/iPhone.

I wish I were kidding. I'm not, here's the link to the app in the AppStore. And here is a handy screencap I made of it, if you don't want to actually scope out the link:

I wonder, is anyone out there willing to fork over the .99 cents to see if this app is worth it? I wonder how accurate it is, too, its translations. How useful it would actually be, as a dictionary.

This would have probably been more useful if I'd posted it earlier in the semester, as I intended. Sorry about that! But hey, just in case you have any last minute, er, Chaucer dictionary needs...right, here we are.

Part of me is thrilled Chaucer is being recognized, in even a tiny way, like this. Most of me is perplexed by the paradox of having a Middle English dictionary on my futuristic super phone. It's like whenever they act out classic novels on the holodeck on Star Trek.

I'm in serious danger of nerding myself into oblivion, so, time to move on.

Continuing my theme of Chaucer and technology, I've gotten addicted to the few audio recordings available at the VMI website. It was especially helpful in the beginning of the semester when I was adjusting to the Middle English. I had been hoping there'd be an audio book of all the tales in Middle English, but so far, no luck. I'm usually against audio books, too, I think they're for old people or people who fall asleep when they read (like my Mother, don't ask, long, long story). But I've been using the VMI website a lot lately as I prepare to recite, badly, Middle English for class.

I had high hopes for this post when I started, but it's rapidly losing all coherency. Better end now, then, while I still have a shred of self respect.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did great, Toni! I like the idea of anachronism representing past things out of place in the present/future as well as present/future things in the past. "Is that guy at the Burger King window wearing a cap? That is anachronistic."

    As for the app, I imagine it's only slightly less useful than a pocket Latin dictionary. It will be very handy when words like swynk and muchel come back around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or how anachronistic the description of the brass horse is! Especially since it's sounds eerily like a car yet there is no way it could actually be one!

    Here are the lines (in modern English sorry!)

    This steed made of brass, which easily may 115
    Within the course, sire, of one natural day
    (That is to say, in four and twenty hours
    Whether it be in time of drought or showers)
    Convey you bodily to every place
    Where it may be your heart's desire to pace, 120
    Without a harm to you through foul or fair;
    Or if you wish to fly high in the air
    As does an eagle soaring, harmlessly
    This steed shall take you where you wish to be,
    Though you may sleep upon his back throughout 125
    And take your rest. And he will turn about
    And bring you back at the twist of a knob.
    For many a craft was known to him whose job
    It was to make it; many a constellation
    He watched ere he began his operation, 130
    With many a seal and bond at his command.

    ReplyDelete